Lördag den 27:e maj år 2023
Today's name is: Dazzle, Pray. Congratulations on your name day!
This is week: 21
Day of the year is: 147 of total 365 days.
Historical events this day: (from Wikipedia)
- 1660 - Sweden and Denmark close the peace of Copenhagen, which ends the the war between the countries, which has lasted for two years. This peace confirms peace in Roskilde from 1658, with the exception that the county of Trondheim in Norway and the island of Bornholm off the southeast coast of Skåne are returned to Denmark. The two countries then keep peace with each other until 1675, when the Danes begin an attempt to reclaim the lost eastern Danish provinces Skåne, Halland and Blekinge.
- 1860 – Giuseppe Garibaldi's troops besiege and capture the Sicilian capital of Palermo. As the entire island of Sicily is thus in Garibaldi's hands, he has a strong foundation there to continue the unification of Italy on and later in the summer he leads the troops across the Straits of Messina to the Italian mainland, where his triumphal march continues. As early as March of the following year, it is announced Kingdom of Italy.
- 1930 - The skyscraper Chrysler Building in Manhattan in New York is inaugurated. During the construction period, they competed with Bank of Manhattan building to be the tallest in the world and to make sure of this, the designer also has a tower spire mounted there. The building will be a total of 319 meters high and will thus be the tallest in the world at the time of the inauguration. It will be the first to strike The Eiffel Tower 300 meters, but doesn't keep first place for long, then Empire State Building, which is 449 metres, was inaugurated already the following year. Nowadays, it is the fifth tallest building in the United States.
- 1940 - The British expeditionary force, which was sent over to France at the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, begins to be evacuated from the French north coast. Since the beginning of the German attack on the Western Front on 10 May the British and French have been pushed back and the British are now trapped in the city Dunkirk. While the Germans refrain from attacking with ground troops for a week and instead bombard the city, the British manage, by bringing in all possible military and civilian boats from the British south coast, until June 4 to rescue the entire British expeditionary force and some French soldiers, over to Great Britain. By using the boats in shuttle traffic at night and by building piers of military vehicles on the beaches, they manage to evacuate a total of 338,226 soldiers, before the Germans conquer the city and capture the soldiers who remain. The event has the official name Operation Dynamo, but goes down in history as the "Miracle in Dunkirk".
- 1941 - After British ships have been searching for the German battleship since May 24 Bismarck, which is then the world's largest warship, on May 26 they managed to track it down and since the British, with the help of torpedo flights, have managed to make the ship impossible to maneuver, it has become an easy target. Early in the morning that day, the British begin a bombardment of the ship and it sinks at eleven o'clock in the morning. The British claim to have sunk her, while the Germans claim to have sunk her themselves by opening the bottom valves. The fact that the shipwreck does not implode from the pressure of surrounding bodies of water suggests that she was waterlogged when she sank, supporting the German theory. Of 2,065 German crewmen, only 115 survive.
- 1953 - The Swedish Parliament adopts the law on general compulsory health insurance. A decision in principle was made to introduce the law, which means that all Swedish citizens, through tax payment, have automatic insurance in the event of a hospital stay, as early as 1946, but the admission decision has been postponed twice. The Act enters into force on 1 January 1955.
- 1968 - The occupation of Stockholm University's student union union house, which has lasted since May 24, is being extended, as a number of the occupiers in demonstration trains also try to occupy Stockholm City Theatre, the Concert Hall, the Opera House and Stockholm Central Station. However, this fails and the protesters return to the union hall. Since the police have stopped the supply of food to the corps house and the occupiers are thus beginning to suffer from hunger, the the housing occupation after three days.
- 1996 - The Russian president Boris Yeltsin meets with the Chechen rebel leaders and negotiates a ceasefire, which ends it first Chechen war, although a formal peace agreement is only concluded a year later. As the Chechen rebels have not achieved their goal, which is to Chechnya shall become independent from Russia, war breaks out again 1999.
- 2006 – The earthquake off Java in May 2006 occurs.