Måndag den 21:e augusti år 2023
Today's name is: John, John. Congratulations on your name day!
This is week: 34
Day of the year is: 233 of total 365 days.
Historical events this day: (from Wikipedia)
- 1157 - When the Norwegian king Öystein Haraldsson die remains only Inge Krokrygg of the three brothers, who in recent years have co-ruled Norway. At Öystein's death, however, the third brother is proclaimed Sigurd's ten year old son Håkon Herdebrei to king in his place, in opposition to his uncle Inge.
- 1772 - King Gustav III assembles the Riksdag in the Reichshall, with pro-royal troops stationed outside. The king reads aloud 1772 form of government, which is adopted by the Riksdag without discussion. The king gets the governing power, and appoints the council, which will advise him on various issues and not participate in decisions. Legislative power is shared between the king and the Riksdag, while the Riksdag alone has the power to tax. The king cannot start a war of aggression without the consent of the Riksdag, but the Riksdag is only convened when the king wants it. The new constitution means that 1720 year's constitution and 1766 year freedom of the press regulation is repealed.
- 1808 – The Battle of Karstula during Finnish War 1808–09, when a Swedish force of 1,600 men under lieutenant colonel Otto von Fieandt defeated by a Russian force of 3,200 men.
- 1810 – Jean Baptiste Bernadotte designated as Swedish crown prince.
- 1911 – Mona Lisa stolen from The Louvre in Paris.
- 1914 – Battle of Tannenberg. German successes against Russia.
- 1914 - One total solar eclipse occurs across Sweden.
- 1942 – Battle of Stalingrad starts.
- 1959 – Hawaii becomes the 50th state to join the American Union.
- 1966 – Essingeleden opens in Stockholm.
- 1968 – of the Warsaw Pact countries (excl Romania) invades Czechoslovakia and thus puts an end to prague spring.
- 1983 - The Philippine opposition leader Benigno Aquino shot dead on Manila's airport.
- 1986 – 1,800 people in Cameroon dies suddenly carbon dioxide emissions from one meromictic lake.
- 1988 – The 1988 Bihar earthquake, 1004 people died and 16000 people were injured.
- 1991 – Latvia declares itself independent of Soviet Union.
- 1999 - The rebuilt ramparts at Vadstena castle inaugurated.
- 2004 – Carolina Klüft wins Olympic gold in heptathlon during the Olympics in Athens.
- 2010 – Inauguration of Tramway City in Stockholm.