Fredag den 17:e april år 2026
Today's name is: Elias, Elis. Congratulations on your name day!
This is week: 16
Day of the year is: 107 of total 365 days.
Historical events this day: (from Wikipedia)
- 1080 - Vid Harald Heins dead, he is succeeded by his brother Knot as king of Denmark. However, he is killed already six years later.
- 1521 - The German monk Martin Luther giving a speech in front of Riksdag in Worms, where he defends his religious writings, which in his criticism of Catholicism has initiated it Protestant the reformation. He ends the speech with the later famous quote "Here I stand and can do nothing else, God help me, amen!", but the German-Roman emperor Charles V still declares him an outlaw, when the Riksdag is terminated by the edict of Worms on May 25.
- 1825 - France formally recognizes Haiti as an independent state, 21 years after the colony declared its independence in 1804.
- 1947 - France recognizes Syria's independence. As early as 1941, the country has proclaimed its independence and France has renounced its supremacy over the mandate of Syria in 1944.
- 1958 – Expo 58 in Brussels held.
- 1961 - A force consisting of 1,500 Cubans, who have fled to the United States after Fidel Castro's seizure of power in Cuba in 1959 and who have been specially trained by the American intelligence service CIA, carry out, with the support of American forces, a try to invade the island and oust Castro at the so-called Bay of Pigs, which however fails. About a hundred people in the invasion force are killed, while the rest are imprisoned by the Cuban government forces.
- 1975 - The guerrilla movement The Khmer Rouge captures Cambodia's capital Phnom Penh and government forces surrender. Thus it takes Cambodian Civil War, which has lasted since 1970, ends and the Khmer Rouge begins a reign of terror under the leader Pol Pot, which lasts until 1979 and during which 1.7 million people are killed.
- 2004 - In the second round of it Vladimír Mečiar with 59.9 percent of the votes (against Mečiar's 40.1 percent). Thus, he can take office as Slovakia's president on June 15.
- 2009 - The Stockholm district court announces the verdict in the so-called The Pirate Bay target, where the four responsible behind the file sharing site The Pirate Bay are accused of copyright infringement. All are sentenced to one year in prison each and joint damages of SEK 30 million to the film and music industry. However, everyone appeals the verdict to the Svea Court of Appeal.