Måndag den 16:e mars år 2026
Today's name is: . Congratulations on your name day!
This is week: 12
Day of the year is: 75 of total 365 days.
Historical events this day: (from Wikipedia)
- 1792 - The Swedish king Gustav III gets shot by the captain Jacob Johan Anckarström on an opera masquerade on The Royal Opera in Stockholm. However, the king does not die immediately, as the conspirators behind the crime had hoped, and the murderer is quickly captured. Despite finding a whole group of conspirators behind it all, only Anckarström (who held the murder weapon) is sentenced to death and executed. Other conspirators are sentenced to prison and exile or other, milder punishments, since the king has died barely two weeks later from his injuries and related illnesses.
- 1935 - The German Chancellor Adolf Hitler announces that Germany intends to rearm its fighting forces in conflict with the 1919 signed Treaty of Versailles after World War I. On the same day, conscription is reintroduced in Germany, in order to be able to rebuild the German army.
- 1939 - The day after Germany has annexed the Czech part of Czechoslovakia, the Czech Republic is proclaimed by Hitler as a German protectorate with the name Bohemia-Moravia. Slovakia has two days earlier become independent and formally retains its independence until the end of the Second World War in 1945, although in practice it is under German protection and in 1944–1945 is also occupied by Germany.
- The former Italian Prime Minister Aldo Moro is kidnapped by the armed leftist organization The Red Brigades, who shoots dead his five bodyguards. When the kidnappers do not get their demands for Moro's release met, they kill him and he is found in the trunk of a car in central Rome on May 9.
- The Liberian registered oil tanker Amoco Cadiz runs aground and breaks into three pieces at Ploudalmézeau off the coast of northwestern French Brittany. When all of its 1.6 million barrels of crude oil of 220,000 tons leak into the sea, this causes the world's worst oil disaster to date.
- 1987 - Sweden's Radio reveals that the Swedish arms manufacturer Bofors has bribed Indian politicians, to receive an order for 410 artillery pieces of the type Howitzer 77, which is worth SEK 8.4 billion.
- 1988 - Then Iranian forces the day before during the ongoing the war between Iran and Iraq has captured the northeastern Iraqi Kurdish city Halabja Iraqi forces launch a gas attack on the city. During the attack, 7,000 civilian Kurds also perished, mainly women and children.