Monday, August 14, 2023
Today's name is: Uno. Congratulations on your name day!
This is week: 33
Day of the year is: 226 of total 365 days.
Historical events this day: (from Wikipedia)
- 1040 – Duncan I falls in battle against his cousin Macbeth, who succeeds him as King of Scotland.
- 1790 – Peace in Värälä concluded between Sweden and Russia.
- 1814 – The convention in Moss between Sweden and Norway which becomes the basis for it the Swedish-Norwegian Union signed.
- 1879 – Spain admits Peru as an independent state.4
- 1900 - Allied troops occupy Peking in China.
- 1921 – People's Republic of Tuva be called out.5
- 1947 – Pakistan becomes independently from British Empire. Even though the transition takes place at midnight after this 6date Pakistan counts August 14 as its Independence Day.
- 1991 – The Folketing approves the construction of a fixed connection between Malmö and Copenhagen.
- 1999 - The last bridge compartment on The Oresund Bridge is put in place. Crown Princess Victoria and Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark meet symbolically in the middle of the bridge.
- 2006 – Helios Airways Flight 522 crashes and all 121 people on board perish.
- 2006 - One armistice finishes The Israel-Lebanon conflict. Israel's blockade of Lebanon continues to September 8.
- 2007 – The 2007 Qahtaniya bombings, a series of coordinated bombings, carried out by suicide bombers in the city of Qahtaniya, located in Kurdistan, northern Iraq. The attacks are the bloodiest acts of terrorism in the Iraq war so far. The number of people dead is estimated at 796. 1562 injured. It is al Qaeda which lies behind.